CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thankful Thursday

I thought I would do "Thankful Thursdays" this month, and then saw this challenge on Amanda's blog (see sidebar), so I'll be keeping a list in my sidebar. Here's the list I had started, I'm trying to be specific and notice things everyday:

1. A warm house with working electricity and heat. Especially when this is what is outside (that's our back door and the house across the street, looks a lot like pictures I took just six months ago!):



2. Nice friends who come shovel front and back and driveway when Scott is gone- thanks Shaun and Cam!

That leads me to...

3. I'm thankful for two 'built-in' support systems I have available to me all the time no matter where we go: the Air Force (ie. Scott's squadron members), and the Church (hometeachers, visiting teachers, etc.).

4. An enclosed garage to park the van in, so I don't have to scrape every time I want to leave the house during the winter!

5. A nice little gym that has a nursery that will take kids age newborn and up. I was a little nervous at first (bud decided I didn't want to shell out the big bucks for a good treadmill), but the lady who watches Andrew and Jake for me is so sweet and she is always so excited to see them, especially the babies. This is wonderful for me because it is so much easier to be a happy person (read Mom) when I am able to exercise.

6. I'm thankful for a great friend who sets up a space for me in the Body Pump class at the gym. It's so nice not to stress about getting the three of us there early every week, not to mention the extra motivation of knowing someone expects to see you there. Thanks Amanda!

7. I'm thankful school is closed today (and tomorrow)- I really don't like driving in the snow until the roads have been cleared well.

Which reminds me...

8. I'm thankful for the good day we had all cooped-up indoors together. This really is saying a lot for one parent vs. 3 young kids! We made a Thankful Turkey (his name is Theo and we're going to keep adding feathers this month) and played games (and watched TV). The kids even said what a fun day it was and how great a mom I am. It's so nice to actually hear them say things like that, even if I'm a "mean mom" again 2 minutes later when I won't let them (actually just Andrew had a fit) have a cookie before dinner. I hope we can have another good day tomorrow!


(That's "baby" Bumblebee Transformer, which Andrew had put down for a nap, he's such a boy, but he can be so sweet! Everything into the mouth for Jake, I keep trying to get one with his fingers in his mouth, but haven't been able to catch him yet.

9. I'm thankful for Scott. He called just to tell me he would be calling later than normal because he has to go back to class this evening- how thoughtful is that!

12 comments:

Julie

Wow that is a ton of snow! Can't you send some this way? After living almost 6 years away from snow, I am beginning to miss it.

Melanie

After the elections I've been getting an earful from everyone who didn't get what they want complaining and feeling disapointed and this was great to read. Its a reminder that life really is wonderful. What you wrote about your kids, friends, and Scott is really sweet.

Anonymous

Lani,
I've been following the weather with much concern. We (Judy and I) have you in our thougts and prayers.

Eric

PS I also noticed the weather where Scott is right now!!!

Cecilia

I can't believe you have that much snow already! We've been in the mid 70's this week, although were in the 60's today. I like the thankful list, it keeps things in perspective.

Mary Peterson

I'm with you on the support systems. I'm thankful for the Air Force and the Ward. It stinks when our husbands are away, but it is nice to know that there is help when we need it.

Amanda

Glad to read that you are surviving the snow and being stuck indoors. I love Theo, we might just have to borrow that idea. :)

Juli

It is good to hear you are surving the snow and having fun with the kids.

Anna

Thanks for the pictures Lani. They're keeping me from complaining about anything this week because I'm just grateful those views aren't the ones outside our windows! However, if I could, I would bring the kids and keep you company while you're stuck in the house.

Saundra

Love the snow! Love the turkey idea. I am going to copy you. I have been wondering what to do for Thanksgiving, and you gave me a great idea! Thanks!

trish

Lani-
I don't envy the weather you are having! Yikes! Will you email me your address, Anna wrote a letter to Eden. Thanks. Rndllfam@sssnet.com

Anonymous

Lani I just want you to know that you are an amazing mother, as I read my friends blogs that have husband's gone, it gives me strength within myself that I will be able to do it too when Todd leaves in the spring! It looks super cold with all that snow, I am getting ready to go for an 8 mile run and thinking, it's so cold out there what an I going to wear. Hello Chelsea! It's not cold at all now looking at your house! Miss you!

Julie

I just caught up with all your Thankful posts--what a great way to keep life in perspective. Thank you for sharing this. Merry Christmas!