CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

First Day of School!!!

I know I promised pictures, but I can't find the usb cable for my camera.  So, sorry.  Hopefully I'll get them on here soon.  At least I did remember to take pictures of the big morning.

That morning (Monday) started quite early for us.  Andrew had everyone awake shortly after 5AM.  And that's after he didn't go to sleep until 9 or so the night before.  And he'd been tired and cranky for that whole weekend, so he REALLY needed better sleep.  But, that's not what happened.  I think the transition has been wearing on him lately, or something.  I hope he gets over it soon.  I'm starting to feel really bad about leaving him with Grandma this coming weekend.  Who needs to worry about a very 2-year-old when you have a super cranky and extremely obnoxious 5-year-old on your hands?

Minus some major drama from said 5-year-old (over what shirts were acceptable for the first day of school), the morning routine went very well.  Eden put together her own lunch without me even asking (I was going to make her lunch, but she just did it).  And she even did a pretty good job health-wise: PBJ, carrots, grapes, {healthier-than-average} fruitsnacks.  She also was supposed to bring a snack or two besides her lunch, I gave her two Luna Bar minis {a slightly healthier option to the typical granola bar}.

We were out front about 7:40am (we didn't need to leave until 8).  Plenty of time to take pictures, pull out the trash cans (Monday is trash day for us), and let the kids loose on the neighbors front door (they wanted to walk to school together).


We arrived early to the school, got the kindergartener lined up, then went to find the 3rd graders' lines.  She was perfectly happy to not have me stay and watch her go to class.  I went back to the kindergarten area (our neighbor was waiting there).  It was kind of fun to watch Andrew's expression change between anxiousness and exitement.  At one point there was a little toddler boy who wasn't at all happy about his big sister going to school.  Andrew got face got more and more concerned, I thought he might have a breakdown.  But, when the bell rang for the students to walk inside, he gave a huge wave and the biggest smile of the morning.



After that, I set out with Jake in the jogger.  I couldn't start jogging for a little while because of the throngs of parents leaving the school.  But, I found a side street that got me out of the main traffic, and we were off and running.  I don't think I've pushed the stroller that fast in a long time.  I was seriously giddy almost to the point of laughter to have 3 hours almost to myself.  And I found out that Jake is A LOT QUIETER when he doesn't have to compete for my attention.

Both school kids had a great day and like their teachers and classmates.  They will both be learning some French at this school.  They even offer immersion classes starting in 2nd or 3rd (we didn't opt for that this year).  Andrew couldn't care less about learning French, but Eden thinks its pretty cool. 

Eden informed after the 2nd day of school that she has a buzzillion best-friends now.  She didn't actually use that word, but she does seem to think that everyone in her class is her best-friend.

1 comments:

Anonymous

That was fun to read about your first day of school. I didn't realize that our kids are in the same grades, what school are you guys at? And I felt the same with going for a run with just Hallie, it was so wonderful!