CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

What's new for 2009?

I really just haven't felt like updating the blog lately. But, here's a little update anyway. I actually started this post a week ago. The upside to my procrastination is that you get some pictures to go along with my rather long and dull monologue:

- We went on a sort of spur of the moment trip to Seattle the day after Christmas. We also got to stop and see Scott's sister and family in Montana.

- Scott is still an awesome guy! He drove the whole way there and back (2 days each way!). We were going to see my family, but I was the hesitant one. I'm so glad we went, we had an awesome time and we got to see almost all of my brothers and sisters.

- My sisters and I won the lottery for the half marathon in Moab this coming March (except for the 2 who will be about 8 months pregnant on race day). Maybe that sounds like one sick-and-twisted lottery to some of you, but there are enough crazy runners out there that they have a lottery system to see who will get in to some of the more popular races. I've been diligently training, and hope to finish around the 2-hour mark with my youngest sister Michelle.

- I slipped on ice a week ago Friday when I was picking up Kindergarteners, so of course lots of people were there to witness it. When it happened I was mostly mortified, when I got home the pain hit me enough to call Scott and he came home. I think I just bruised my lower back real good. It feels much better than a week ago, but sitting for long periods gets uncomfortable. Fortunately, I've been able to get my miles in (mostly with the help of ibuprofen). One thing I DON'T like about having a "real" winter. UPDATE: my back feels almost completely fine now, but I think I was using one leg too much in compensation and now that knee is out of whack. Just a few days ago I was telling a friend how I didn't think the "big 3-0" would bother me too much (I'm not quite 29), but I'm beginning to reconsider since my body seems to be falling apart right already!

- The Young Women finally got to present their Young Women in Excellence Program in Sacrament Meeting two weeks ago (it was postponed due to weather last month). It turned out very well, the girls did a great job singing and in their presentations, and I really enjoyed the other leader's talks. I love having this calling right now!

- I am giving FlyLady a try. I actually started shining my kitchen sink (the first BabyStep) two days before Christmas, which sounds crazy, but I really love having my sink so clean (especially when its THE ONLY spot in the house that stays clean)! Then took about 10 days off because of our fun trip. I need to create some system/routines for keeping the house in order. Not perfectly clean all the time (I do live here with a husband and 3 small kids!). But, I really want to have the housework running on "autopilot" by the time Scott deploys in July, so I don't have to think about it, thus reducing my stress and increasing overall happiness in our home. That's what I hope FlyLady will help me do. I committed to completing the 31 BabySteps before I decide whether to keep with it or not. It's going pretty well (far from perfect, but I think we're making progress), definitely A LOT of e-mails, but I delete most of them without even opening them.

- THE WORST baby blowout we have experienced with Jake happened to Scott at church last week. Jake was lucky he had a back-up sleeper in the diaper bag, Scott was not so lucky and he even had to stay after church with the baby poop across the front of his shirt. Luckily everyone who saw him was sympathetic enough to get a good chuckle out of the situation instead of plugging their noses and running away!

- The kids are still fun and cute a lot of the time and keeping me busy almost all of the time!

7 comments:

Sherry Leal

I am so sorry, Scott. That was bad, the blowout I mean. Craig went through a stage at about six months where he wouldn't go for four or five days, then have the worst blowouts I've ever seen. The funny part was that he didn't seem to notice! He'd keep playing quietly and never make a sound--until I would unsuspectingly pick him up...and then we'd run to the bathtub. Yeah, I'm really sorry for you.

Jen

Your monologues are not dull! It looks like you are having fun and keeping busy. Good luck in your half marathon! Thanks for introducing me to FlyLady; my sink is shining as I write this.

Saundra

I'm glad your back is feeling better!! Be careful out there on that ice! How exciting that you and your sisters won the lottery! I've never entered a lottery for a race before, but I know that they're hard to get into. Have fun!!

Heather

I have never heard of flylady before. Let me know how it goes. Maybe I need something like that in my life!

Julie and Spencer

Lani, I am running in the Canyonland's race this March as well. Hopefully I will see you there!

Julie Brown

P.S My friend Mary Baker is also your friend I noticed! She was my freshman roommate at BYU. Small world!

Amy Tree

I did notice your husband's shirt at church, and also thought it was fairly humorous. If it had happened to me, however, I think I would have cried. The YW did a great job!

Mary Peterson

I've heard a little about FlyLady. I've been debating about looking into it. I think you have inspired me. I need to get into a better schedule so I don't spend all day doing everything once or twice a week.
Congrats on the Loto. Moab is big and a beautiful race.