CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Operation Baby Drop - Phase I completed

Well, he's here! Jacob Verl Olson was born on 11 Jun 08 at 5:10 pm at Rapid City Regional Hospital. Sorry I don't have pictures. The camera is at the hospital with Lani.

Jacob was 8 lbs 13.7 oz and 21 inches long when the nurses weighed and measured him right after he was born. He was five days early and about one pound heavier than both Eden and Andrew were at birth.

I will leave most of the details up to Lani except for one. Before the baby was completely delivered and at the point at which an already tired and hungry mom was thoroughly exhausted, the midwife and the nurse thought it would be a good idea to assure Lani that the baby was certainly much bigger than either of our first two kids. This was the last thing she wanted to hear. I was sitting next to the bed. If you knew, as Lani does, that I was 10 lbs 6 oz. when I was born and if I had time to explain the reputation of the hard, abnormally large, Swedish-stock cranium typical of Olson males you would not be surprised at all at Lani's response... more details that I choose to leave up to her. Let's just say I think I know why it's a good idea to deliver babies in hospitals; it has less to do with the mother and baby than it does with quick access to top quality health care for the father.

Anyway, Lani and Jacob are doing fine. She chose to stay one extra night in the hospital and I plan to pick them up tomorrow around 10:00 am. (that will be Phase II of the operation). We really do have some great snapshots and I will try to post them tomorrow.

Oh, and though thirty years have lapsed I would like to say... thanks Mom! Sorry for what I put you through. Love, Scott

3 comments:

Elise

Yeah! What a big boy! I can't wait to see him. I'm glad you're doing well! (especially you Scott, I hope Lani gave you a good smack, since it's all your fault he was so big!) That was a sweet thankyou to your Mom, she definitely deserves it...10 pounds!
Congratulations you guys!

Melanie

Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear that everything went well! I can't wait to see some pictures.

Anonymous

Great blog entry!! Can't wait for the pics--as for 30 years ago--who cares, you were well worth it. Love, Mom