CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Notice my new quote!

I know you guys are all super excited about the new addition to my quote list.  I like it. Disclaimer: I am not familiar with the book or the author, I simply snatched this quote from the blog of someone who did read it. The last sentence says people either have what they wanted or a list of why not.  I think this may need to be changed to "what they needed"; or maybe to "what they wanted even if they didn't realize that's what they wanted" or something... I think that the majority of the time we DO end up with what we want, or at least what our actions show we want, maybe not what we said we wanted, sometimes what we want changes over time.  And sometimes we don't realize that what we have is truly what we want. 

It also reminded me of something one of my neighbor/friends at Hickam said.  It was something along the lines of, "The older I get, the less I care what other people think."  At the time it struck me as a little odd (I don't remember the context of the conversation, but this woman is about 8-10 years older than me), but I have to admit, I've found that to be true.  Now, I'm not saying I am completely above everyone else's opinion's of me all of the time.  But, I do feel a lot more confident (in general), in the choices I make concerning how I spend my time and how we try to raise our kids, and things like that.  I still have moments of self-doubt and insecurity, but when it comes down to it, what other people think plays little or no role in the decisions I make.  It's really very liberating.  I think the connection I see to my new quote is that sometimes we have a hard time 'owning' our uniqueness, and spend too much energy comparing ourselves to others.  That's where some of the issues the quote talks about come in.  Sometimes we have excuses because we never really wanted that result anyway, we just thought we should want it.   It reminded me that instead of coming up with excuse why I am not or have not, I should examine my motives a little.  And if it's not something I truly want, then I should own that uniqueness instead of making excuses for it.

This may not make a lot of since (I'll blame pregnant-brain), and I apologize if you didn't want to hear a kind of random soapbox episode from me today.  But maybe if I let this quote fester for a while, I will find the motivation to do REAL updates to my blog.  Or, maybe I'll realize that I never want to blog again.  (But, I'm hoping for the first.)

Here are some potential future catch-up posts:
* Our trip to the East Coast (NOT Europe)
* The Dixon Family Reunion
* A picture of #4 waving 'hello'
* Projects started and/or completed (more the former than the latter)

And I'm sure there are more, since I don't even remember the last time I updated our blog.  So, here's to hoping I get some pictures on here again soon.

2 comments:

Melanie

#4?! How exciting--- maybe everyone else already knows... do we get to know the due date? Also- I love the quote too!

The Bergeron Family

I vote for the dixon family reunion update...I want to see pictures!!!