CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

about 'starting over' again

I thought a picture of myself would be appropriate for this post, and this was the best I could come up with, since I'm usually the one behind the camera... maybe I should work on that, maybe not  ;)


Perhaps the very best part about our Air Force life is the opportunity it gives us to see/do/experience so many different people, places, things (even though we've stayed in the US so far).  I get really excited every time we start looking at the possible locations for a PCS.  So far, I've been REALLY excited about the places we've lived- Texas (the great state of), Hawaii, and Rapid City.  Now, I was REALLY excited about Colorado Springs too, I still am.  Scott's happy about the job, we found a geat house that is within walking distance to both the elementary school and the church building......

....BUT, as the move date looms closer and closer, I realize how NOT excited I am to leave our home.  Despite my efforts not to make roots here, this has become our home and I will miss it- especially all the truly exceptionally wonderful friends I've made these last three years.  In fact, it makes me pretty miserable to think about.  So, a lot of the time I block that out and focus on the work of moving, its easier.

And then all of that reminds me that I felt this too when we moved from Hawaii to Rapid City.  And how sad it is that I don't keep in touch (at least not as well as I'd like) with all of the truly exceptionally wonderful friends I made there.

To top it all off, I start thinking more about how hard it will be to 'start over' again.  Make new friends (this doesn't come easy to me), and now that my kids are getting older, worrying about them making new friends, fitting into the new ward, finding the parks, library, stores-- the list goes on and on.  I remember how hard it was when we moved here, how lonely it was, how I was certain I wouldn't meet friends as good as the ones I had before.

But then I am reminded that I actually did make new great friends, which means I will probably find new friends in Colorado.  And we can keep in touch (even if its not the same as living in the same city or neighborhood) thanks to the miracles of technology.  So, I want to tell all of you, my truly exceptionally wonderful friends, especially those I haven't seen in a long while, that each of you have made a special impression in my life, you inspire me, and I miss you.  And I hope that some day our paths will cross again.

9 comments:

Sherry Leal

Ah, yes, I empathize greatly. We're moving again, too, if you hadn't heard. This will be our fifth move in five years. I'm becoming a pro. I hate leaving friends, too, but unfortunately I only made one really good friend in our current ward, so I don't have too many people to miss this time. And we're only moving 20 minutes away, so we can still do play dates. But I still dread the process and living out of boxes. Well, take courage! You have a good attitude.

Juli

We are sad that you are moving! I know how you feel with moving, leaving friends and having to make new ones. Let me know if I can do anything to help you before you leave.

Saundra

Moving is the pits. When it's time for us to leave MD, I don't think I'll be too sad. I haven't made many friends here, and that's all my fault. Life has been so busy with homeschool, and I'm sure to become even more of a recluse once baby #5 gets here, and I'll be homeschooling Everett as well. If it wasn't for my calling in the Primary Presidency, I wouldn't know anybody. But, the few friends I do have, are the best. I guess Heavenly Father knows that I only need a few, and he's provided me with incredible people. I hope your move goes smoothly, and you're able to find a running buddy. :) Miss ya!

Heather

Just come out and say it...you are REALLY going to miss ME! ;) Well, the feeling is mutual and I have been dreading this day all year. I am not sure how our kids will function but luckily for you, you will be moving into a neighborhood with actual neighbors. Sounds like you might fair a little better than us. Good luck my friend.

Cecilia

Good luck with the move Lani. It's always hard at first (I think unpacking is the WORST part) but you'll love meeting new friends like you always do.

Michaela

Awww this post makes me sad :(
I'll miss you ooodles and oodles

Anonymous

Lani,

You will do well. You make friends a lot easier than you think.


Eric and Judy

Elise

I hate moving...I think you're so brave to do it so often and to handle it so well! I'm dying to hear how it's going for you guys!
Some of our best friends from Dental school are in the AF and are getting ready to move to Rapid City...any advice/suggestions on where to live, or anything really? You guys were in on-base housing weren't you?

Anonymous

Guess what....I could be your running buddy....there is about a 90 percent chance we are moving to Colorado springs too! If it does happen for us it will be in jan. I am so happy to hear you will be there! If you want us to live by you, you could help us find a place! So fun! Can't wait to hear from you. Chelsea