CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Seattle shenanigans: Whidbey Island Triathlon

OK, on facebook I promised to update the blog, so here it is: I still don't have access to pics of our little sojourn in Seattle, but Dana and I did finish a triathlon on Whidbey Island on Saturday. We were still wondering "what in the world have we gotten ourselves into" at the start of the race. First, we parked a mile from the start (and T1), then realized we needed to figure out how to get the bikes and all our stuff there. Luckily, Dana had the brilliant idea to turn our numbered drawstring garbage bags into back packs. So, off we went. The chain on my bike popped off just a few hundred feet from where we parked, and we considered just bagging the whole thing, but luckily it went back on very easily.

We got to the start and it seemed like EVERYONE else was wearing a wetsuit. So of course we're wondering how cold the water is, but we were too chicken to test it before the start because if it was cold, we might bail on the whole thing. Fortunately, when we entered the water for the start (well behind the rest of our wave), we were surprised with nearly lukewarm water! The swim course was a triange, and I was feeling really good until on the last leg I was shocked to pause and discover I was WAY off-course and swimming nearly perpendicular to the course line (away from all the other swimmers)! Dana was laughing so hard and I started laughing so getting the rest of the way in went even slower than normal. 24 minutes for a 1/2 mile swim.

On the bike portion, I realized how poorly I had trained for the bike portion. It was beautiful scenerey though. 1:32? for 19.5 miles on the bike.

When we started the run, my calves felt SO tight and I also felt majorly knock-kneed, like my knees just couldn't give me any support. But by the first mile, I was feeling pretty good. 31:50 for 3.8 miles. I surprised myself by finishing 5th in my age group for the run portion, but I was last place or next to last place in my age group for the swim and bike.

Before the race, I thought we'd do well to finish under 3 hours with transitions and everything. I was surprised that we finished in 2:38! But, next time I'll have to train better on the bike, and learn 'sighting' for the swim.

Anyway, probably TMI for many of our loyal blog-readers, but there you go. Hopefully pics will follow sooner than later!

8 comments:

Dustin and Laura

Wow, great job Lani!

Melanie

This sounds so awesome- I'm very impressed. I think I would really enjoy trying a triathalon someday- but the swimming would definately be my week spot. How did you train for that part? It sounds like doing it with someone was a good idea.

Saundra

Totally fun!! I've heard that it's imperative during Tri training to do plenty of bike with runs right after, to avoid the jelly knee thing. But, what do I know? I'll probably never do one! So, keep up the good work, and AWESOME JOB!

Mandi

You are awesome! Way to go!!!

Mary and Adam

Wow that's awesome! I would have been the one swimming on my back the whole way due to exhaustion. lol. Sounds like fun though!

Juli

Great job finishing the triathlon! Sounds like a lot of fun/work!

Elise

As Brenna would say, you and Dana ROCK THE HOUSE!!! I'm amazed that you found the time to train for a triathlon, but not really surprised, you're amazing! Too bad we couldn't have been there to cheer you guys on!
Hope the time while Scott's gone is flying by!

Mary

I am so impressed that you completed a triathlon. I have also enjoyed seeing your pictures from your California trip. You have such a sweet family.