CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Grab Bag of Thoughts

  • I've updated our picassa web albums (finally) , so there are more pictures from the last few months (see Useful Stuff list on the left), although they are still unedited and unlabeled. I don't feel like blogging any of our recent pictures, so here are some things that have been on my mind lately instead:
  • I've been reading "Mormon Scientist: the Life and Faith of Henry Eyring" by Henry J. Eyring. It has been one of my favorite reads in a while. I tend to find something to really like in just about everybook I read (I'm pretty easy to please), I also just finished "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom, which was amazing and I also highly recommend. But, perhaps because I consider myself to have something of a "scientific mind" (whatever that means... I really like science, even chemistry, which I'm horrible at). This may sound funny, but my favorite building and favoritye place to study at BYU was the Eyring Science Center, and part of me thinks that it may have something to do with the man for whom it was named. Anyway, so far I have found the scientific parts exciting and the way he saw no contradiction between science and faith speaks so true to me. So, I'll share just one of my favorite passages so far:
"I should like to say that true religion was never a narrow thing. True religion concerns man and the entire universe in which he lives. It concerns his relationships with himself and his fellowmen, with his environment, and with his Creator. It is therefore limitless, and as boundless as that eternity which it teaches lies ahead of every son of God.

"....To us has come the following which we regard as a divine injunction: 'Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand; of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms.'

Here is the spirit of true religion, an honest seeking after knowledge of all things of heaven and earth."
  • I saw this on another blog (she apparently got it from another blogger, so maybe you have already read it). Even though Mother's Day was last week, I still wanted to share it with everyone and tell all of you other mom's that I really do admire each of you, even though we are each so different. Thank you for being such great examples to me!

"I've learned this: whether you follow Attachment Parenting or Babywise, breastfeed or bottle feed, co-sleep or let your child cry herself to sleep, educate your children at home or in public school----be gracious to moms who parent differently than you.

Because someday, God might send you a child who defies every method, shatters all your pretty platitudes and exposes you as a prideful, holier-than-thou, know-it-all.

I know this because it happened to me. I had to eat humble pie before I realized there's no substitute for relying on Christ alone. Programs, babywise or otherwise, didn't make me a better mother to my children. They only inflated my pride.

Today when someone asks me, "how do you do it?" I reply, "only by the grace of God."Afterall, programs & methods do not save us. But grace does.

'Twas grace that saved a mommy like me.'"

  • And finally, I saw this idea for a post (actually, I think it was a 'tag', so I'll tag anyone who wants to or needs an idea for a post) on a friend's blog quite a while ago, and it just stuck with me, so I'm finally going to do it- a picture of the contents of my purse (thanks Julie!):


That's 1 box of yogurt covered raisins, 1 package of fruit snacks, 3 cough drops, 1 eyeglasses case (with eyeglasses inside), 1 2008 planner, 2 pens, 1 RTD ticket (from our trip to Denver, to be blogged about later), 1 package of flushable wipes, 1 ponytail holder, 1 lipgloss (which I almost never wear, must be from the last date-night Scott and I had), 1 cell phone, 1 checkbook wallet, 1 mini photo album, 2 receipts, 1 bottle of hand sanitizer, 1 pull-up, 1 tape measure, 2 random little pieces of trash (I think one of them is covered up by the receipt). Whew! I must admit I am surprised and a little embarrassed at just how much stuff I carry around!

...and the bag it all came from. I was actually pretty excited to find this, my "perfect" purse on ebay a little while ago, and soon I'll be carrying a diaper bag again, oh well:

1 comments:

Robin

So true. I wish I knew it before I had Shaun. That would have made life easier on both of us.