CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

- We had so much fun in Washington and got to see almost everyone (except the newlyweds)! But I just haven't gotten around to sorting through all the photos and posting about it.

- I've had thoughts and ideas of things I want to post, but they usually escape my mind by the time I sit down to do it. I feel like my brain stops working by the time the kids go to bed, sometimes a lot earlier than that!

- This is fairly typical of our life right now. Eden does a lot of her school work downstairs even thought that's where the toys are because the lesson plans and some of the activities are on the computer. I think we'll use Daddy's laptop at the dining table once he gets home. Overall, the homeschooling is going well, even if it does make for some very crazy days.



- We are really excited for Daddy to get home- less than a week! Love you, Scott! Some of the highlights (for me) will include:
- having our own little Christmas together,
- lots of Daddy time for the kids,
- date nights will resume,
- a 2-nights-1-day get-away for the two of us, courtesy of some AWESOME friends!
- I WILL leave the house without first preparing my kids to either 1) come with me, 2) go to someone else's house, or 3) have a babysitter- ah, the freedom! (I may even go to a movies BY MYSELF, something I used to think was kind of sad and weird, just because I CAN!

- I just had this thought and decided to add it to this list update: For me, this deployment has been a lot like a marathon (about the same number of weeks for the deployment as miles in a marathon)-
FIRST WEEK OR TWO: freaking out at the beginning, wondering if I'll make it the whole way, but still with a silly grin on my face because somehow a part of me finds the challenge sort of thrilling.
NEXT FEW WEEKS: Feelin' good once I settle in at what I think is a nice pace, except when people tell me you're halfway there, when I KNOW we're not.
HALF WAY POINT: excitement I've made it this far, quickly replaced by the knowledge that the second half will be the harder half.
NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS: ups & downs, mental games, definitely still in the race, but wondering why I signed up for this.
LAST FEW WEEKS: I've hit a wall, maybe stopped running, but I'm fairly certain I'll finish, just maybe not as well as I'd planned.
FINAL WEEK: I see the finish line and am absolutely over-joyed on the inside, even if I'm falling apart physically.
*This analogy was created in a past-my-bedtime mental state, so take it as you will.

8 comments:

Dustin and Laura

Very nice analogy. I've never done a marathon but for me the mental games began around the 2nd mile. I'm so excited for you guys to have Scott home finally! Enjoy!

Lani

For record, there are a couple places the analogy definitely does NOT work: 1) I actually would like to do a marathon again, 2) there's no awesome T-shirt for deployment participants!

Ember

I liked your analogy, too. As for the t-shirt, I didn't get that when Eric was deployed but my kids did get awesome photo pillowcases! :)

trish

I'm just excited for you all to have scott home! There is nothing like when they get home! Tell the kids hi!

Sherry Leal

I like that analogy! Very creative and thoughtful for a past-bedtime mental state. I understand that.

Saundra

Maybe Scott will bring you home a t-shirt that says, "My husband went on a 6 month deployment, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!" I liked the marathon analogy. I think a lot of things in life can be compared to training/running a marathon. You're such a trooper Lani!

Tera

I love the marathon analogy! You are an inspiration to us all! Can't wait to have a house full of fun next week! We are counting down to the fun too! YOU GO GIRL!!

Heather

As per our earlier conversation. I think I may steal your analogy..it describes my feelings perfectly. I just didn't have the words. And yes I know the words weren't there because I have never run a marathon. But that is why I have you as a friend, I live vicariously through you!!!