CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Recipe Exchange!!! and Stake Conference

Here's the recipe I shared for the latest recipe exchange e-chainmail I got. It's actually from the Garnica's (hope that's ok), but I've switched from cooking them on the stove to using the crockpot method recommended by Mom.

Homemade Refried Beans (not exactly quick, but super-duper easy!)

Put about 1 cup pinto beans (sorted and rinsed) in crock pot. Add water so that the level of the water is 2-3 times as high as the level of the beans. Cook on low 6-7 hours, depending on how soft you like refried beans. Heat enough oil in skillet (mine is 10 or 12 in.) to generously coat the bottom of the skillet. Use slotted spoon to remove beans from crock pot to skillet. Use ladle or spoon to add some of the liquid from the crockpot to the beans. Use masher to mash/stir beans to desired consistency, adding liquid from crockpot as needed. Don't worry about adding too much liquid it will boil off pretty quick. Add salt to taste.

I usually make bean and cheese quesadillas for dinner the first day, then save the leftovers for bean and cheese burritos at lunch, they taste great with green taco sauce! Believe it or not, these have not caused much of a gas problem for our family (I've heard its because they are cooked in plenty of water, for plenty of time).


On another note, the kids and I actually made it all the way through our Stake Conference today, without Scott (he's in Meridian, ID for baby Abigayle's blessing), and it ran 20 minutes over (good thing the kids don't know how to tell time yet!) I only had to take Andrew out once, plus a couple water breaks. But the kids were actually very reverent most of the time!

4 comments:

Robin

Reverent??? I am seriously needing some advice on how to begin teaching that. Shaun usually is not throwing fits, but he is singing loudly, talking loudly, etc. loudly. How can I start teaching him about quiet time???

Elise

I'm really impressed too! How do you do it?? You heard how our stake conference went, I can't belive you did it by yourself, you're amazing Lani! Oh, and I love the pictures Eden took, she's quite the budding photographer. Brenna has recently wanted to take pictures by herself, usually it's just of her fingers though.

Anonymous

THe pumpkin story is a hoot--although since we met the first belated pumpkins we are sorry they didn't make it to Halloween. Congrats on reverent kids by yourself--that's not easy to do! Eric and Judy

Lani

I think maybe I should explain more. "Very reverent" is a relative term when you have little kids. They were reverent enough that we made it to the end without having to be out in the hallway. To me, that's very reverent, preschooler/toddler version.